Tuesday, September 4, 2012

Domokun Calzone Bento

Domokun Calzone Bento by sherimiya ♥
Domokun Calzone Bento, a photo by sherimiya ♥ on Flickr.
I made fun calzones for the kids; using regular pizza dough for MisterMan and the Gluten-Free On a Shoestring recipe for TinySprite. I filled with a variety of meat (pepperoni, salami and ham), plus arugula and cheese, then for Domo I sealed it up in a vaguely rectangular shape. While the dough is still sticky (don't dust with flour), add on some little dough pieces for arms and legs. They'll stick there without falling off throughout baking! I'm showing you MisterMan's version here. This version will puff up during baking because it's a regular yeast flour dough, but the gluten-free version will just sit there and look just the way it looked before baking. In a way, it's easier to bake creatures using gluten-free dough for that reason. But I think puffy Domo looks kinda cute. I put some red capsicum and cheese details on his face, along with black capsicum eyes, and tucked him into the stainless steel tiffin with some steamed broccoli. The upper tier contains steamed corn off the cob, carrots, blackberries and blueberries, strawberry, lychees and plums.

Here are some other Domos I've made (using sandwich bread): here and here. And my first one, for a field trip (he looks kinda funny to me now) here!
Added to What's For Lunch.

18 comments:

  1. That Domo calzone is so cute! What a fun idea :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Sheri,

    I just saw your blog and loved it. You have such a nice blog.. keep it up!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is so funny! And I went back to all your links, and they were so funny too. I need to make funny bento. Thanks for reminding me. :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, funny bento are simply the best. We must all strive to bring the funny back; thanks Judy!

      Delete
  4. Oh my goodness, I love this! My daughter loves Domo she would be so jealous of Tiny Sprite. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Domo!!! He looks great! I love his teeth, for some reason they make me giggle. Adorably vicious! :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm totally a fan of yours!
    And Domo is just so cute.
    Your ideas are amazing (T.T)

    ReplyDelete
  7. you've always had me at "domo"... even the first field trip one, i was in love. and puffy domo may be my favorite... not to mention the delicious idea of a calzone on this grey NY day.

    would love to see a pic of TS's GF version!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Puffy Domo ftw!
      Her version didn't make the cutoff. But I'll for sure do another version!
      Thanks megan :)

      Delete
  8. love the domokun..!! and your bento looks great as always sheri :)

    ReplyDelete