Tuesday, August 7, 2012

Portobello Pizza Bento

Portobello Pizza Bento by sherimiya ♥
Portobello Pizza Bento, a photo by sherimiya ♥ on Flickr.
I saw this portobello pizza idea somewhere...maybe on Pinterest or something? Anyway, it was described as a low-carb way to enjoy pizza. Gluten-free too; so I gave it a try.

Here's the method I used:
1. Dust/clean portobello mushroom cap, and remove gills with a spoon to create a little mushroom "cup."
2. Cut off stem.
3. Fill with your choice of toppings (I used shredded zucchini, bell pepper strips, spinach, pepperoni, cheese)
4. Top with cheese if you like, and bake at 350F until mushroom and toppings are softened, and cheese is melted.
5. Alternatively: put cheese in first, and layer toppings on top.
6. Bake at 350F until everything is softened and bottom cheese is melty.

Well, the first thing I noticed is that since the mushroom cap doesn't absorb any moisture, it can fill up with moisture from the veggies. It might be better to saute the veggies before putting them on, maybe. Also, I prefer the cheese on the bottom version, because I like the fresh vegetables looking nice on top. In fact, you can reduce the cooking time as much as you like, and keep the veggies on the crunchier side, too. Still good that way. Anyway, my boy wanted to take one to summer adventures program, so I packed one in this Sistema-look-alike box. The only thing different about this box is that there are 3 divided sections on the fruit side instead of 2. I took the picture with the pizza inside the big section, but actually what I did was close the fruit section and place the pizza on top of the lid in its wax paper before closing the domed lid on top of it. Worked great! He liked all the attention his weird pizza got. In the fruit section: corn on the cob, carrots, broccoli, peaches, lychee, and cherries.
This is a fun meal that the kids can help with, and you can pile a lot of stuff in those portobellos :)

6 comments:

  1. Cool idea! But I can see how it could get a little messy/soggy lol. It looks absolutely delicious though!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, too bad. But luckily it didn't stop the kiddos. Heh! Thanks Heather :)

      Delete
  2. This is so dainty and healthy to boot!
    Love your picture instructions.
    This will be reason enough to source lovely mushrooms at the market this week.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a fantastic idea! I often do "pizzas" using bread as a base (basically cheese-on-toast with veg) but will definitely try this mushroom version, thanks :)

    ReplyDelete