Wednesday, August 31, 2011

Squash Blossom Pizza Bento

We made squash blossom pizza a la our favorite pie from Pizzeria Mozza and Scala's Bistro. I used whole wheat flatbread rounds for the kids' bento since they are such a cute size and perfect for little hands. I sliced the zucchini thinly, and sauteed briefly, then scattered on the flatbreads along with chunks of mozzarella. I layered fresh squash blossoms (a whole bag from my farmer's market for $2) on top and baked. For the adults I added peppers (Scala's uses padron) and for the kids I added garlic powder. Super yum! These happened to fit just right in the two-tiered stainless steel tiffin, and I was able to keep the fruit and vegetables separate on the top: corn, cauliflower, tomatoes, grapes, cherries and pluots. Looks like a pretty sunflower, kind of. ^_^

8 comments:

  1. Squash Blossom pizza sounds unique. Kids love this for sure. Looks yummy.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Jackie! They love that they're eating flowers :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. That is so cool! I've never tried squash blossoms (never had the chance to buy them either), what do they taste like? I think a trip to the farmer's market is in order this weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Such a healthy pizza in bento!!! Everyday you have different ideas and kids must be so excited to open the bento box! Even I get excited to see what you prepare for bento everyday!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Heather, they don't taste like much to me, but they get nice and crispy on the pizza and they're yummy with burrata and peppers. I hope you can try!

    Thanks Nami, you're so sweet!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Unique squash blossoms pizza! Sounds delicious and I love your beautiful sunflower decor! ;D

    ReplyDelete
  7. wow...super yum pizza...
    I wish to stay as your neighbour :b

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks so much Ꮮуռ էяɨռɨא (ᵐᵋˢˢᵞ ᴻ ᶜʱᵋᵋᵏᵞ) and Yenny! I wish you were my neighbor too :D

    ReplyDelete