Wednesday, August 24, 2011

Spanakopita Bento

Spanakopita Bento by sherimiya ♥
Spanakopita Bento, a photo by sherimiya ♥ on Flickr.
Today I experimented with filo pastry pie, which I baked in a muffin tin. I used feta and spinach filling, like I did for spanakopita in this bento. I thought the little pies would make perfectly sized bento portions and the kids would have fun eating them. Besides the spanakopie, I packed the usual sides: corn on the cob, carrots, broccoli, car-shaped Okinawan sweet potatoes, cherries, strawberries, blueberries and a little ripe raspberry. It went over pretty well!

5 comments:

  1. Do you make these filo pastries right before when you pack bento? Do you wake up early for making bento? Japanese moms (in Japan) always wake up like 5:30am to make those fabulous bento, and I think that tells me that I lost my Japanese-ness. LOL. I feel so lazy to wake up just for kids' bento... (sorry my kids). I love your bento so much and guess who's going to copy when my kids need bento! ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Never worked with filo pastry until now. Looks great with all those layers. Lovely bento! What can I say? Colorful bento is your signature bento (^.^)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nami, these were made the night before; I usually pack their bento the night before out of convenience. I guess I never had that much Japanese-ness to rise at dawn to do it! They weren't crispy as when they were fresh, but if the kids preferred, you could crisp them up in the toaster oven quickly right before they left for school. I'm sure your kids will be eating delicious bento, just like all the food they are used to eating from your kitchen! Thanks Nami :)

    Thanks Lia. I don't know much about file either, except you can crumble it instead of making nice layers, and that's okay -- which is good for me! I bet you'd have no problem with it. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love the idea of baking it in a muffin tin! Awesome bento :D

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks Jenn! I love the muffin tin baking style. I'll have to start making tarts and quiche too, I think :)

    ReplyDelete